Natividad Nurses Provide Excellent Patient Care Through Shared Governance
Natividad nurses are focused on improving nursing practice through our shared governance model. This model engages Natividad nurses in decision-making that positively affects their nursing practice, standards, and directly impacts the quality of care for our patients and their families. Shared decision-making encourages control over nursing practice by placing autonomy, responsibility, and accountability with the clinical nurse.
What is Shared Governance?
- A model developed by Tim Porter-O’Grady
- Provides direction for the professional practice of nursing
- Directs nurses to participate in unit-based decision making that allows them to demonstrate accountability and ownership of their practice
- The ultimate goal is to help achieve better patient care outcomes (Timothy Porter-O’Grady, 1997)
Why Shared Governance Matters
- Promotes nurses having influence over their practice and leads to higher satisfaction and excellence
- Purpose is to empower staff and share accountability for unit decisions related to: service, clinical excellence, patient outcomes and nursing practice environment
- Involves collaboration, teamwork, and problem-solving at the unit level and with other departments to improve patient outcomes and nursing practice
Natividad Shared Governance Model
The Natividad Shared Governance Model provides a voice for your nursing practice.
The Professional Practice Council at the center consists of the Chairpersons from each Unit Based Nursing Council. Nurse-driven councils surround and support the Professional Practice Council.
The outer ring includes the Natividad Nursing Executive Council with the role of supporting all of shared governance and removing barrier to advancing nursing practice.
Nursing Division Mission
To provide family-centered care emphasizing nursing excellence, respect, and compassion.
Nursing Division Vision
To develop an interdisciplinary, supportive environment where nursing is empowered to assist patients in improving their lives, therefore, impacting the community as a whole.
Our Nursing Values ensure…
- Nurturing: nurse experts passing along their wisdom, caring, and confidence in order to guide new nurses in their professional, personal and interpersonal growth
- Accountable: to be answerable to oneself and others for one’s own actions
- Teamwork: an essential for patient safety and quality of care
- Integrity: respecting the dignity and moral wholeness of every person without conditions or limitation
- Visionary: views nursing as both an art and a science by promoting caring and competence as the link between science and humanity
- Innovative: conversion of knowledge and ideas into meaningful work through creativity, entrepreneurship, and pushing beyond the boundaries of status quo
- Dignity: advocacy role in preserving human dignity throughout the continuum of care, more focused on aspects of privacy, respect, and autonomy
- Autonomy: authority to make decisions and the freedom to act in accordance with one’s professional knowledge base
- Diversity: affirming the uniqueness of and differences among persons, ideas, values, and ethnicities
…. in the work we do every day.
Natividad Nursing Strategic Plan: 2017–2019