- This event has passed.
OB Fellows Grand Rounds: Marijuana in Pregnancy: Legalization and Effects on Care
April 24, 2018 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pmFree
Presented by: Rebecca Raymond, MD
With California’s recent legalization of recreational cannabinoid usage the rates of use are expected to increase. This includes increase in self-administered usage during the prenatal and postpartum periods for many women seeking to control hyperemesis and pain. Studies have shown that although legalization may not increase the baseline rate of usage in the general population it can have an effect on the level of exposure of recreational users with some studies indicating more than two fold increases in concentration of cannabinoids in tested meconium samples. Increased usage and availability of cannabinoids may have significant impact on rates of preterm deliveries, low birth weight and may have longstanding negative neurodevelopmental effects on drug exposed fetuses. Providers must be prepared with evidence to screen, counsel, and manage patients with cannabinoid usage before, during and after pregnancy.
- Understand of current legalization of cannabinoids in California and in the United States
- Understand of known effects of cannabinoid usage as well as differences in mode of usage during pregnancy and lactation.
- Exploration of legal ramifications of Usage in the prenatal and postpartum periods.
- Exploration of the rates of usage of cannabinoids and concurrent use of other substances
- Utilize Screening tools in practice