Natividad Medical Center is a 172-bed acute care hospital owned and operated by Monterey County. As the public safety-net hospital, providing healthcare to the residents of Monterey County for over 132 years, Natividad provides healthcare access to all patients regardless of their ability to pay. The hospital operates with a medical staff of over 350 physicians and has several specialty clinics and outpatient primary care clinics operated by the Monterey County Health Department.
Natividad is a Level II Trauma Center providing the immediate availability of specialized personnel, equipment, and services to treat the most severe and critical injuries.
Natividad is the only teaching hospital on the Central Coast, through its affiliation with the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). Recognized nationally and internationally as a model program, Natividad’s Family Medicine Residency Program is postgraduate training for physicians specializing in family medicine. About 1/3 of the graduates remain on the central coast to establish a practice.
Natividad is fully accredited by The Joint Commission and is governed by the Monterey County Board of Supervisors, under the guidance of a Board of Trustees.
Highlights of Natividad:
- 2016 Top Hospital by The Leapfrog Group. One of the most prestigious distinctions a hospital can receive in the U.S., the recognition showcases NMC’s commitment to patient safety and quality.
- Safety net hospitals like Natividad make up only 21 of California’s more than 450 hospitals and health care systems, provide 43% of all hospital care for California’s uninsured, and train more than of all new doctors in the state.
- Natividad's Level II Trauma Center is a vital community service locally that saves lives and eliminates the need to fly critically injured patients to a distant trauma center.
- Natividad has more than 52,000 Emergency Department visits each year, one-third of which are children.
- Natividad’s comprehensive women’s health program delivers more than 2,200 newborns each year. It is a model birthing program, tailored to the individual needs of all women, including vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC). In 2016 the program received the Blue Distinction Center for Maternity Care by Anthem Blue Cross Designated as a Baby-Friendly® birth facility by Baby-Friendly® USA.
- The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) affiliated with UCSF Benioff Children Hospitals at Natividad has a Level III designation from the California Department of Health, meets the strictest criteria, and is staffed and equipped to care for critically ill infants.
- The Sam Karas Acute Rehabilitation Center at Natividad offers the highest quality and most comprehensive level of rehabilitation health care for patients, aiming to promote independence, and lessen the dependence on families and social care. In 2016 NMC’s Sam Karas Acute Rehabilitation Center received a #1 National Ranking out of 107 Kindred Healthcare rehabilitation units for top scores for clinical excellence.
- Natividad Medical Center’s bariatric program is equipped with the latest technology in weight loss surgery and is fully accredited by the American College of Surgeons MBSAQIP. In 2015 the program received the Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Surgery-Gastric Stapling and Gastric Banding by Anthem Blue Cross.
- Inpatient and outpatient surgical services are provided by highly-skilled surgeons and nursing staff in upgraded and modern operating suites. State-of-the-art laparoscopic surgeries available include: Bariatric Surgery, Colon and Rectal Surgery, Kidney Surgery, Nissen Fundoplication, Cryoablation Renal Tumor, and Heller Myotomy.
- The D'Arrigo Family Specialty Services offers a wide range of specialty care including: Colon Rectal Surgery, Dermatology, Gastroenterology, General Surgery, Hematology/Oncology, Nephrology, Neurology, Neurosurgical Services - OB/GYN, Orthopedics, Pain Management, Pediatric Cardiology, Pediatric Gastroenterology - Physical Medicine, Podiatry, Pulmonary Medicine, Sports Medicine, Urology, and Vascular Thoracic Surgery.
- Natividad Medical Group specializes in family medicine offering Comprehensive Primary Care and Obstetrics, Minor Outpatient Surgical Procedures, Vaccinations, Well-child and Adult Care, Physical Exams, and referrals to Specialty Services.
- The Diabetes Education Center offers outpatient services to children and adults with diabetes Type 1, Type 2, gestational diabetes, and pre-diabetes. Outpatient services include individual counseling and education, group counseling and education, community presentations and outreach.
- Natividad Medical Center houses the Sally P. Archer Child Advocacy Center & Bates-Eldredge Clinic, Monterey County’s only child maltreatment clinic. Professionals at the Center provide developmentally sensitive and legally sound child forensic interviews and forensic medical examinations to assist in the investigation and criminal prosecution of child abuse cases.
- Natividad offers the NIDO (Natividad Immunology Division Outpatient) Clinic, a comprehensive disease and HIV/AIDS clinic which provides primary care, HIV testing and counseling, laboratory, case management, health education, behavioral health, and outreach services.