Natividad Medical Center is a 172-bed acute care hospital owned and operated by Monterey County. As the safety-net hospital providing healthcare to the residents of Monterey County for over 127 years, Natividad provides healthcare access to all patients regardless of their ability to pay. The hospital operates with a medical staff of over 230 physicians and has several specialty clinics and outpatient primary care clinics operated by the Monterey County Health Department.
Natividad is the only teaching hospital on the Central Coast, through its affiliation with the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). Recognized nationally and internationally as a model program, Natividad’s Family Medicine Residency Program is postgraduate training for physicians specializing in family medicine. About 1/3 of the graduates remain on the central coast to establish a practice.
Natividad is fully accredited by The Joint Commission and is governed by a Board of Trustees, under the guidance of the Monterey County Board of Supervisors.
Highlights of Natividad:
- Safety Net Hospitals like Natividad make up only 15 of California’s more than 450 hospitals and health care systems and provide 50% of all hospital care for California’s 6.6 million uninsured and train nearly half of all new doctors in the state.
- Natividad’s innovative and compassionate care team delivers more than 2,700 newborns each year, and more than 1,000 of these babies’ mothers had gestational diabetes.
- Natividad’s comprehensive women’s health program is evolving to include a model birthing program tailored to the individual needs of all women, including the county’s only vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC) service.
- Natividad has more than 47,000 Emergency Department visits each year, one-third of which are children.
- Natividad has the Central Coast’s only inpatient and outpatient acute rehabilitation program.
- Natividad has the county’s only child sexual abuse clinic providing medical-forensic examinations, serving more than 225 children each year with a 95% conviction rate for cases that go to trial.
- Natividad offers the NIDO (Natividad Immunology Division Outpatient) Clinic, a comprehensive disease and HIV/AIDS clinic which provides primary care, HIV testing and counseling, laboratory, case management, health education, behavioral health, and outreach services.