Natividad is hospital and Level II Trauma Center dedicated to improving and inspiring healthy lives. As a public health care system, Natividad provides compassionate high-quality health care to everyone in Monterey County, regardless of their ability to pay or immigration status. Located in Salinas, California, and founded in 1886, Natividad offers a wide range of inpatient, outpatient, emergency, diagnostic and specialty medical care for adults and children.
Home to the area’s only Level II Trauma Center, the hospital’s specialized personnel, equipment and services provide a vital local community service that treats the most severe and critical injuries — saving lives and keeping patients close to home.
Through its affiliation with the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), Natividad is the only teaching hospital on the Central Coast. Recognized nationally and internationally as a model program, Natividad’s Family Medicine Residency Program is postgraduate training for physicians specializing in family medicine. About half of its graduates remain on the Central Coast to practice medicine.
Natividad is fully accredited by The Joint Commission. Owned and operated by Monterey County, the 172-bed hospital is governed by the Monterey County Board of Supervisors, under the guidance of a Board of Trustees. Monterey County Health Department operates several outpatient care clinics at the medical center.
Highlights of Natividad:
- Safety net hospitals like Natividad make up only 21 of California’s more than 450 hospitals and health care systems, provide 40% of all hospital care for California’s uninsured, and train more than half of all new doctors in the state.
- Natividad’s Level II Trauma Center is a vital local community service that saves lives and eliminates the need to fly critically injured patients to a distant trauma center.
- Natividad has nearly 53,000 Emergency Department visits each year and more than 10,000 admissions.
- Natividad’s comprehensive women’s health program delivers about 2,500 newborns each year. It is a model birthing program tailored to the individual needs of all women, including vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC). The program has been recognized by Newsweek as a Best Maternity Hospital 2020 and as a Blue Distinction® Center for Maternity Care by Blue Cross Blue Shield. Natividad is also a Baby-Friendly® Hospital.
- The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) affiliated with UCSF Benioff Children Hospital has a Level III designation from the California Department of Health, meets the strictest criteria, and is staffed and equipped to care for critically ill infants.
- Natividad Acute Rehabilitation Center offers the highest quality and most comprehensive level of rehabilitation health care for patients, aiming to promote independence and lessen the dependence on families and social care. The center is ranked #1 by Kindred and in the top 10% of acute rehabilitation facilities in the country by UDS.
- Natividad’s bariatric surgery clinic is equipped with the latest technology in weight loss surgery and is fully accredited by the American College of Surgeons MBSAQIP. It has been named a Blue Distinction® Center for Bariatric Surgery-Gastric Stapling and Gastric Banding by Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- Highly skilled surgeons and nursing staff provide inpatient and outpatient surgical services in upgraded and modern operating suites. State-of-the-art laparoscopic surgeries include bariatric surgery, colon and rectal surgery, kidney surgery, Nissen fundoplication, cryoablation renal tumor, and Heller myotomy.
- D’Arrigo Family Specialty Services offers a wide range of specialty care, including audiology, cardiology, colorectal surgery, gastroenterology, general surgery, gynecology/oncology, hematology/oncology, interventional radiology, nephrology, neurology, neurosurgery, obstetrics and gynecology, orthopedic surgery, pediatric cardiology, podiatry, pulmonary medicine, sports medicine, (remove sports medicine, (remove urology), urogynecology and vascular/thoracic surgery.
- Natividad Medical Group specializes in family medicine, offering comprehensive primary care and obstetrics, minor outpatient surgical procedures, vaccinations, well-child and adult care, physical exams, and referrals to specialty services.
- The Diabetes Education Center offers outpatient services to children and adults with diabetes Type 1, Type 2, gestational diabetes, and pre-diabetes. Outpatient services include individual counseling and education, group counseling and education, community presentations and outreach.
- Natividad houses the Sally P. Archer Child Advocacy Center & Bates-Eldredge Clinic, Monterey County’s only child maltreatment clinic. Professionals at the Center provide developmentally sensitive and legally sound child forensic interviews and forensic medical examinations to assist in investigating and criminal prosecution of child abuse cases.
- Natividad is strengthened and enhanced by Natividad Foundation, a nonprofit charitable organization. The foundation’s public-private partnerships help fund medical equipment, programs and training to ensure all patients get the best care.