Natividad is hospital and Level II Trauma Center dedicated to improving and inspiring healthy lives. As a public health care system, Natividad provides compassionate high-quality health care to everyone in Monterey County, regardless of their ability to pay or immigration status. Located in Salinas, California, and founded in 1886, Natividad offers a wide range of inpatient, outpatient, emergency, diagnostic and specialty medical care for adults and children.
Home to the area’s only Level II Trauma Center, the hospital’s specialized personnel, equipment and services provide a vital local community service that treats the most severe and critical injuries — saving lives and keeping patients close to home.
One of UCSF’s original affiliate residencies, Natividad is the only teaching hospital in Monterey County. Natividad’s Family Medicine Residency program provides full-spectrum training to prepare graduates to meet the needs of underserved communities. Nationally recognized as a model program, Natividad cultivates future family medicine leaders who will promote equity and advocate for our underserved patient population.
Natividad is fully accredited by The Joint Commission. Owned and operated by Monterey County, the 172-bed hospital is governed by the Monterey County Board of Supervisors, under the guidance of a Board of Trustees. Monterey County Health Department operates several outpatient care clinics at the medical center.
Highlights of Natividad:
- Natividad is one of 21 public health care systems in California, which include county-owned or affiliated systems and the five University of California academic medical centers. Together safety net hospitals provide 40% of all hospital care for California’s uninsured, and train more than half of all new doctors in the state.
- Natividad’s Level II Trauma Center is a vital local community service that saves lives and eliminates the need to fly critically injured patients to a distant trauma center.
- Natividad has nearly 60,000 Emergency Department visits each year and more than 11,000 admissions.
- Natividad’s comprehensive women’s health program delivers about 2,300 newborns each year. It is a model birthing program tailored to the individual needs of all women, including vaginal birth after cesarean section (VBAC). The program has been recognized by Newsweek as a Best Maternity Hospital 2020 and as a Blue Distinction® Center for Maternity Care by Blue Cross Blue Shield. Natividad is also a Baby-Friendly® Hospital.
- The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) affiliated with UCSF Benioff Children Hospital has a Level III designation from the California Department of Health, meets the strictest criteria, and is staffed and equipped to care for critically ill infants.
- Natividad Acute Rehabilitation Center offers the highest quality and most comprehensive level of rehabilitation health care for patients, aiming to promote independence and lessen the dependence on families and social care. The center is ranked in the top 5% of hospitals by LifePoint Acute Rehab Centers and in the top 10% of acute rehabilitation facilities in the country by UDS for five consecutive years.
- Natividad’s bariatric surgery clinic is equipped with the latest technology in weight loss surgery and is fully accredited by the American College of Surgeons MBSAQIP. Blue Cross Blue Shield has named it a Blue Distinction® Center for Bariatric Surgery-Gastric Stapling and Gastric Banding.
- Highly skilled surgeons and nursing staff provide inpatient and outpatient surgical services in upgraded and modern operating suites. State-of-the-art laparoscopic surgeries include bariatric surgery, colon and rectal surgery, kidney surgery, Nissen fundoplication, cryoablation renal tumor, and Heller myotomy.
- D’Arrigo Family Specialty Services offers a wide range of specialty care, including cardiology, colorectal surgery, gastroenterology, general surgery, gynecology/oncology, hand surgery, hematology/oncology, interventional radiology, nephrology, neurology, neurosurgery, obstetrics and gynecology, orthopedic surgery, pediatric cardiology, podiatry, pulmonary medicine, urogynecology, and vascular thoracic surgery.
- Natividad Medical Group specializes in family medicine, offering comprehensive primary care and obstetrics, minor outpatient surgical procedures, vaccinations, well-child and adult care, physical exams, and referrals to specialty services.
- The Diabetes Education Center offers outpatient services to children and adults with diabetes Type 1, Type 2, gestational diabetes, and pre-diabetes. Outpatient services include individual counseling and education, group counseling and education, community presentations and outreach.
- Natividad houses the Sally P. Archer Child Advocacy Center & Bates-Eldredge Clinic, Monterey County’s only child maltreatment clinic. Professionals at the Center provide developmentally sensitive and legally sound child forensic interviews and forensic medical examinations to assist in investigating and criminal prosecution of child abuse cases.
- Natividad is strengthened and enhanced by Natividad Foundation, a nonprofit charitable organization. The foundation’s public-private partnerships help fund medical equipment, programs and training to ensure all patients get the best care.