ViaCare Monterey County to Launch on Monday, March 4th
- March 1, 2013
SALINAS, CA — ViaCare Monterey County will launch Monday, March 4th, the County of Monterey’s Low Income Health Program (LIHP). ViaCare is a partnership between Natividad Medical Center, the Monterey County Health Department, and the Monterey County Department of Social Services. ViaCare will provide coverage to approximately 500 uninsured adults between 19- 64 years of age, who earn up to 100% of the Federal Poverty Level, which is roughly $11,172 per year for an individual.
All ViaCare enrollees will be assigned to "medical homes," participating primary care clinics where patients receive care tailored to their needs. The medical home will provide basic health care services and refer members to specialty services if necessary. ViaCare is a short term program with most ViaCare members transitioning to Medi-Cal beginning January 1, 2014 as part of the Affordable Care Act implementation.
The County of Monterey is part of a statewide effort to sustain and strengthen Medi-Cal (California’s Medicaid) program through the implementation of LIHP, a coverage program for low-income uninsured adults in California that was included as part of California’s Section 1115 Medicaid Waiver. The launching of ViaCare provides Monterey County with federal reimbursement for expanding coverage to low-income, uninsured residents. The combination of coverage expansion and enrollment in medical homes helps patients get the right care, when they need it, in the appropriate setting.
“This program offers an opportunity – in the context of national and state health care reform goals – to improve the health of low-income, uninsured or underinsured residents who rely on the safety net system, and to strengthen the State’s health care safety net delivery system so it provides high quality, coordinated, and efficient health care services to those in need,” said Harry Weis, CEO of Natividad Medical Center.
Throughout California, expanding coverage to uninsured adults through the LIHP programs has generated benefits for patients and their families and public hospital systems. Patients, who were previously uninsured, now have access to a wide range of health care services and a team of providers dedicated to working with patients to keep them well and out of the emergency room and hospital. Public hospital systems can provide more coordinated care, can proactively address the health needs of their patients upfront, while receiving partial federal reimbursement for the cost of services.
Qualification requirements are:
- Residents of Monterey County
- Individuals with income at or below $931/month, $11,172/year ; couples at or below $1,261/month, $15,132/year for married couple
- Legal permanent resident (at least 5 years) or US citizen
- Between 19 – 64 years of age
- Not eligible for Medicate or Medi-Cal
1. Beginning Monday, March 4th, qualified applicants can pick up applications at these 7 locations:
- Natividad Medical Center 1441 Constitution Blvd, Salinas
- Monterey County Health Clinic – Marina, 3155 De Forest Road, Marina
- Monterey County Department of Social Services – King City Office, 116 Broadway Street, King City
- Alisal Health Center 559 East Alisal Suite 201, Salinas
- Seaside Family Health Center 1150 Fremont Blvd, Seaside
- One Stop Office – Seaside, 1760 D2 Fremont Blvd, Seaside
- Castro Plaza Resource Center, 10601 McDougall Street, Castroville
2. Once applications are filled out, they can be brought to one of the following locations:
- Natividad Medical Center, 1441 Constitution Blvd, Salinas, Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- One Stop Office – Seaside, 1760 D2 Fremont Blvd, Seaside – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Monterey County Department of Social Services – King City Office, 116 Broadway Street, King City Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
3. Applicants will be notified upon acceptance to the program within 45 – 50 days.
What Do Applicants Need To Apply?
- An original (no copies) valid picture identification (Drivers’ license, school ID, work ID, MICA)
- Proof of Monterey County residency (Examples: Drivers’ license, utility bill, rent receipt, proof mail received at current address)
- An original (no copies) proof of legal permanent residency (at least 5 years) or U.S. citizenship (Examples: Birth Certificate, MICA, Naturalization Papers)
- Proof of income (Examples: Current pay stub, Social Security Award Letter, Unemployment Award Letter, State Disability Insurance)
- Social Security card or number
For more information, please call (831) 783-2400 or visit www.Natividad.com.